This little "New Years baby" makes me very excited for the coming year. Crawling, walking, talking....there's so much to look forward to in 2013!
As far as new years resolutions go, I have the typical goals as others: get back in shape, watch less TV, and find a job outside the house that is fulfilling and enjoyable. As I watch Olivia hit milestones each day and begin to watch my every move, I also have a far more rewarding resolution to be a better mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, and neighbor this year. I found this prayer in a book my Meemaw gave me when Olivia was born. Think it perfectly sums up my goals for 2013.
A Mother's Prayer to Mary
Mary, model of all mothers, you know that I, too, am a mother. Some years ago, my husband and I told your Son, Christ, that we would live together for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part. We are still together and God has blessed us with a lovely child. I am grateful for being a mother and my children are my joy. I know that I spend more time with them than anyone else and they easily will do what I do. That is why I am asking you to help me to become a better mother.
If I pray with my children, they do not mind praying. Please do not let me miss this privilege of teaching them to talk with God. They will be obedient to Jesus and me if I show them that I am obedient to the commands and wishes of God. I can teach them how to be patient if you help me to be calm in difficulties as you were at all times.
My girls will love modesty if I am modest in my dress and in all my actions. If you help me to guard my lips and all my words, my children may learn never to stain the tongues on which your Son must rest in Holy Communion. The more my boys and girls see me overlooking faults of others, the more charitable they will be. Mary, please help me to compliment people rather than criticize them.
You know how difficult it is for me to be sweet when I have a headache or am tired, but my children will learn to cooperate with God in times of suffering if you teach me at such times to say: "Jesus, it's all right with me." Yes, your Son has put so much trust in me, giving me a family to lead through this world back to him in heaven. Help me and my husband to show them the power of the sacrament of matrimony and the beauty and joy of home life and of married life in Christ. Again, I am asking you, the model and most successful of all mothers, to help me as a mother to draw my family close to you and your Son, Christ.
Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment